Take the free 7 day challenge to you get ready to move abroad!
Learn More
Alright, you're in!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.

Gone Working

in Australia on a Work & Holiday Visa

share your story!
Angela Weathersby
for those interested in

Want to work and travel in Australia for a year (or maybe 2) on a "Work & Holiday" visa? For most of our Australia is a dream location. Read on to see step by step how you can do it too.


- Hold an eligible passport (31 eligible countries)
- Be aged 18-30
- Have no previous Work & Holiday visa with Australia (there is a 2nd visa you can apply for afterwards)
- Meet the education requirement for your country (for US citizens: a high school diploma, GED, or equivalent)
- Meet the Health Requirement (this involves an examination with an approved doctor)
- Meet the Character Requirement (certain countries will need a letter of support from their government)
- Have no outstanding debts to the Australian government (this can include family members’ debts)
- Must have a functional level of English, usually defined in a test (if from other than the US)
- Sign an agreement to adhere to Australia’s Code of Conduct
- $450 AUD Application Fee

Ready? Let's get started!

There are a number of ways to get an entrance visa into Australia and, lucky thing for us Girls Gone Working, a whopping thirty-eight of them are for working while in the country. Two of the most commonly granted visas are the subclass 417 and subclass 462, also known as the “Working Holiday Visa  and the “Work & Holiday Visa,” respectively.

The two visas are very similar; both offer a twelve-month entrance for both travel and work (with an opportunity to apply for a second, year-long visa) to travelers aged 18-30.

Both visas also allow for a maximum of 4 months of study. The main differences are the eligible countries that can apply for each visa, and that the “Work & Holiday Visa” (subclass 462) has specific education requirements for certain countries. Some applicants may be asked to submit an official Letter of Support from their home country’s government.

Have a job back home that's holding you back? Don't let it! Find out why you should quit your job to travel the world today.

Upclose picture of a kangaroo's face and upper body in Australia
Enjoying the distinct wildlife!

As a U.S. citizen, I was eligible for the “Work & Holiday Visa,” or subclass 462. I had wondered if it would be any problem that I was out of my home country at the time of application (not to mention a boat, bus, and plane ride away from any consulate or embassy), but Australia has an efficient online application system. 

The first step was making an ImmiAccount. This account is a requisite to the online application process. It helps manage the visa application, correspondence with the correct government department, and all visas awarded. It’s simple interface is easily navigable and gives notification of any activity with the application or visa status. It also sends an e-mail alert anytime your account is accessed.

While you are setting up your account, be sure to read everything carefully and double check what you fill in. 

This is going to be your account/file for any immigration affairs in Australia forever and ever. As easy as it is to set up, it can be quite difficult to make additions or changes to certain information you will enter. If you are travelling abroad, I suggest to only use email for correspondence. You will not be mailed a visa sticker or any documents you couldn’t simply print for yourself. 

However, if you enter a physical address and are sent any notifications they will require return service for confirmation of receipt and this will be time-sensitive. Where ever your address may be, the post to and from Australia could eat up a considerable amount of that precious time.

Now that you have the visa covered, it's time to get ready to move!

Moving abroad involves a lot of preparation. It's time you pack up your belongings, say your goodbyes and get ready to embrace a different culture, food and sometimes language.

Sometimes this process can feel overwhelming, especially if it's your first time moving. Girls Gone Working has years of experience moving abroad to countries all over the world and we've put that knowledge into a course just for you!

Understand exactly what you need to do to feel logistically, mentally, emotionally and culturally prepared. Get lifetime access to videos, PDFs and articles here!

I had dreamed of going to Australia for years. This visa made it possible.

Most applicants are sent a request for more information, which is usually a request for a medical examination with a Panel Physician (a doctor approved to do Australia’s required examinations). You can send in results of a recent physical with your visa application, but you may still be sent this specific request. I’ll suggest again to set up email correspondence and add that you should expect to receive this request. 

view of a white sand beach in Australia dotted with sunbathers and people walking in the suf
And don't forget the unbeatable nature!

Should you, you’ll be given a HAP ID. This is a unique identifier for your medical information. You will need to provide your HAP ID to even make the appointment with a panel physician. My requests were for a chest x-ray and a physical. And it may just be that I was in a Latin American country, but I was not allowed to attend my appointment while I was menstruating. When I did complete the exam, results were sent directly from the medical office to the Australian Government.

Once granted the visa, it must be activated within one year.

Once in Australia, visa recipients are allowed to apply for a second year visa after a minimum of three months work in rural or agricultural sectors. Jobs include, but are certainly not limited to, work like picking fruit or shoveling stables. For example, as long as you are in a particular region—one that is considered rural or agricultural, or that has been deemed worthy of certain industrial stimulation—you could be slinging beers at a pub or tutoring in an afterschool program, and it would still qualify. If you’re considering two years, double check before and after arriving, the laws are under constant revision.

There is no shortage of jobs in Australia, and you may notice there are many foreigners amongst the local employees. However, there can still be some fierce competition. Use your network of friends and neighbours, have an up to date CV with a photo, and make finding a job your job. Australia can be an expensive place for many, rent is paid weekly and going out with friends or colleagues is the social norm. Pro Tip: In most places, “Cheap Tuesdays” is a thing.

Australia is great about helping you know your rights as a worker. All the information is available directly from your ImmiAccount. Read up before you sign on anywhere and know what to look out for. Most places can only contract you for a maximum of six months with this visa, but after you’ve reached this max, you could be offered a sponsorship. Another thing that seems to happen is employers will recommend workers within a network of employees, so you may have the same coworkers at another job.

It took me roughly a month to get my visa awarded, mainly due to the request for a medical examination. In some cases the visa can be awarded within 48 hours if you have everything necessary ready to go when you apply. If you're a little less organized, the application can take as long as you need.

If you're interested, why wait? Go on and get lost in Australia.

A crowded swimming pool perched at the ocean  on Bondi Bond
The best swimming pool I've seen at Bondi Beach


There are many ways to work in Australia, registering for an ImmiAccount will help you find the right visa for you and manage your application process. Using your email as a preferred correspondence method will expedite the process. You’ll most likely have to take a medical examination with an approved Panel Physician. Have your HAP ID (sent with the request for this exam) on hand to make your appointment. Approved applications are given one year to initiate the visa. Those awarded the subclass 462 visa can apply for a second year after three months of applicable work.

Check out my bio for ways to stay connected! If you have any additional questions, reach out to GGW and we'll be happy to get in touch. If you're in Australia doing the same thing, I'd love to chat about your experience.


Read our disclaimer & privacy policy here.

Liked this article? Pick an image to pin it!

More Stories From The Girls